Enjoying the great outdoors doesn’t have to break the bank. There are lots of ways to find great products that will do the job for you and still be inexpensive.
The other thing too is that once you find the gear that works for you and make sure that it is serviceable, it should last you through a couple of seasons till you need a different one.
One of the things that I always do is to check out my gear right before, during, and after the season. Also, just before heading out on the hike, I’ll always take a look at my gear to ensure there aren’t any rips and tears since my last trip.
I also make sure or to make sure that my water bladder doesn’t have a hole in it. Not having any water during a hike due to a leak would not be a good thing. I’m sure that you would agree.
In this post, I am going to give you some suggestions as to where you can find some cheap hiking gear and also these are great places to find other outdoor gear as well. So, let’s get started with online.
Online outdoor specialty stores
There are a lot of online outdoor specialty stores out there and it can be an endless list. I am going to go through some of the most well-known ones and you should pursue others as well.
- Clymb – This retailer has a lot of different outdoor products and at great prices. The closeout items can go for up to 70% off.
- REI – You can find some great deals when it gets close to the end of the year when they have to bring in new items.
- Cabelas bargain cave – This is a great place to look for hiking gear. They may or may not have some but when they do, the savings are great.
- Gear trade – This is a place where people post items to sell. One of the best places to find great name brand hiking gear at great discounts.
- Big 5 sporting goods – If you are just getting into hiking and looking for some hiking boots at great prices, this is a great place to look. They also have other hiking great as well.
- Amazon – You can literally find all the things you need for your hiking trips here.
These are just a few places that you can find great deals for hiking gear through specialty stores. Let’s take a look at other options.
Craigslist, FB market place, etc
There is another place online besides just the specialty stores that you can find some great deals on hiking gear.
- Craigslist – In the past, I have found several great hiking items. And the great thing is that you will find some great deals on name-brand hiking gear, but also other outdoor gear as well. The main thing is that you inspect the item before purchase it.
- Facebook market place – This is another great place for finding great gear at a fraction of the cost of a new one.
- Classified Ads – You will never know what you will find here. Although, you can dig up some great finds.
Pawnshops and thrift stores
A lot of people think that going to a pawnshop is beneath them. Although, if you haven’t been in one, you might be surprised as to what you will find in there.
The thing about pawnshops is that it can be hit or miss. If you like to go to stores and shopping in general, this will be a great place to find hiking gear. Since this type of business is not your typical retailer, the people who work there won’t know what the inventory coming out looks like.
What I have found is that if you shop their store consistently and let the employees know that you are looking for hiking gear and depending on how well you build a relationship with them. They will contact you and let you know if a particular item is coming out for sale.
I have found a lot of items in places like Goodwill, Value village, and small thrift stores as well. Again these are places that you will have to go and take a look consistently as their merchandise are changing constantly.
Yard sales, moving sales, and estate sales
If you haven’t been to one of these, again you will be surprised as to what you will find here. And the great thing about going to This is that if you love to negotiate as I do, you can get some great bargains.
You can find these sales either by driving around, or going online and looking for where and when these sales will be. I prefer the latter because sometimes whoever is holding the sale will give a description of what they are selling.
If you do go by way of driving around the method I would recommend is going during the weekends early in the morning when they are just putting things out. That way you will beat the crowds and you can find the best stuff early.
During the summer, I have seen people hold yard sales during the weekdays as well. So, it’s always a good thing to keep a lookout as you go about your daily tasks.
If you happen to go to moving sales, the people moving are trying to get rid of things that they don’t want to pack. So, a lot of the times you will get a great deal on name-brand items. You should always ask what kind of deal you can get if you purchase things in combination.
Get out and find those bargains
These are some ideas of where you can find cheap hiking gear. Finding these bargains is not limited to this list. Use your imagination.
The one thing that I failed to mention is that the people that you work with or groups that you belong too, tell them that you are into hiking and you are looking for gear.
Ask them if they or anyone they know have gear that they want to get rid of. Sometimes the people next to you have things that you need and the same for them as well. As they say, you never know until you ask!
Hope this gives you a few ideas, if you like this post or have any questions, comment below I’d like to hear what you think.